Sunday, March 16, 2014

Grand Canyon Day 9: Driving to Austin

Today we woke at 4:30am and left Caballo Lake State Park at 5am.  I awoke at 4:33am to Emily nudging me since I didn't respond to her 4:30am alarm since I had earplugs in.  My car got left behind when two people were in the bathroom, but we caught up at the interstate entrance.

I drove the Tahoe from Caballo Lake State Park to Harper, TX with a lunch break at Sonic in Ozona (581 total miles).  Michelle acted as the 'driving instructor' and always notified me when my parking job was unsatisfactory (ie, I took up multiple spots, didn't pull in far enough, ect).

Driving so far continuously today and yesterday was probably mainly my fault.  I never asked for a replacement, and I did tend to 'hoard' the Tahoe throughout the trip since I felt more comfortable driving it than the Suburbans since it was smaller and had heated seats (although I did not drive the Suburbans at all on this trip, so I guess I can't truly say how comfortable I would have been driving them).  When I came out of the gas station in Harper, Tommy was sitting in the drivers seat of the Tahoe, so I had no choice about being replaced.  I'm not sure if they thought I wouldn't want to be replaced - perhaps that's the vibe I had given. I had thought about asking for a replacement in Ozona, but then felt better after eating lunch. I hopped in the middle left window of the 'party car' - aka the Suburban with all 8 seats, usually driven by Sebastian, Tommy, or Cole - for the remainder of the trip.

Once we returned to Austin, we unloaded all three vehicles, unpacked the food, and left the tents, sleeping bags, and pads in a pile in a cart.  The outdoor center staff will deal with cleaning and storing all the equipment tomorrow.

We had all 11 participants fill out trip evaluation forms during lunch in Ozona.  We shortly reviewed these forms before leaving today.  Overall, the feedback and reviews were very positive.  It seems that everyone had an enjoyable trip!

Cole, Emily, and Tommy offered to return the two Suburbans to IM fields, so JT came to pick me up from campus at 5:45pm.  We ate dinner at Torchy's, went shopping at HEB, and then headed home.

Back home, with all my belongings

No comments:

Post a Comment