Saturday, March 15, 2014

Grand Canyon Day 8: Driving to Caballo Lake State Park

Today we woke up at 6:30am, ate instant oatmeal for breakfast, packed up camp, and left Mather Campground shortly after 8am.

Driving out of Grand Canyon National Park was bittersweet. We had such an amazing 1.5 days there, and did so much in that time, but yet I feel like there is so much more to see and do, and that we only scratched the surface.  The Grand Canyon is certainly one of the most - if not the most - beautiful places I have ever been.

We stopped at Desert View, since Sebastian already had to use the bathroom.  Some of my car decided to go too, so we jogged to and from the bathroom too.

We drove through Flagstaff, stopped for lunch around 3pm 50 miles out of Albuquerque, around Albuquerque, and to Caballo Lake State Park.  I drove the rental Tahoe the entire day - 561 miles!  We arrived at Caballo Lake State Park around 7pm.

It was really windy at Caballo Lake! Emily set up our tent, and Dan and Juan set up their tent.  Everyone else chose to either sleep in the cars or out in the open.

Tommy and Sebastian cooked chicken soup with the leftover chicken, vegetables, spices, and tortillas (as well as some newly purchased rice and broth).  Cole worked to build a windbreak for the people sleeping outside.  I went to call JT.

 Caballo Lake from near our campsite at dusk

As we were eating, Emily said we were going to leave at 5am the next morning - which is the earliest we can drive under university regulations.  Upon hearing this, I decided to go to bed right after dinner.  I even skipped the marshmallow apples dessert since I didn't want to clean my dishes after that.  I felt somewhat guilty about not helping clean up dinner and pack up the kitchen, but also was really tired from driving all day and knew I'd be one of the starting drivers the next morning (with Emily and Tommy).  Everyone was still up and talking loudly once I got in the tent and tried to go to sleep, so I put in my earplugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment