Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Racquetball Nationals 2015: Day 0

It is strange to be blogging a new trip so soon! Flying over pretty much the same route I just spent 1.5 days driving. Packing with little care for size and weight.

I'm travelling with 10 other UT racquetball club members to Tempe, AZ for the intercollegiate racquetball nationals tournament. It will be four days full of racquetball (but just three for me as my games do not start until Thursday).

Greg's friend picked me up at 5:30pm from San Jacinto garage. I was the fourth and final pick-up on the way to the airport.

Traffic was heavy, but we still arrived at the airport at 6:15pm. Alex was there, and Natalie arrived soon after us. But we still had to wait 30 minutes before the last two guys arrived. Our reservation did not come up automatically, so an agent had to help us. One guy tried to use his UT ID as identification because he did not know better... We seriously have multiple people in our group that have no flown in a really long time. That seems crazy to me - but if your family is in Texas and you do not otherwise travel, I guess it is not that surprising.

Security was not bad, and then we had about 15 minutes at the gate before the A zone was called. During this time, I saw the British Airways Dreamliner depart for its daily trip to London.

There were a lot of people in the A1-30, and A1-50 was pretty filled in. Hence, I was extremely surprised to get a window exit row as A50! A47 got the window seat behind the left exit row! Lots of stupid/naive As on this flight...

The majority of our team does not fly much, and we ended up being the group everyone hates. They talked loudly the entire flight. Multiple people cheered and/or loudly exclaimed when then engines kicked in for take-off. One of the girls loudly whined "I'm scared" during turbulence. They sat 3 per row despite entire rows being open on the plane. And they took multiple flash photos in the dark plane after sunset.  When the plane landed, someone clapped.  I'm sure they are excited to be at nationals, but still!

The baggage came out quickly, and then we went outside to wait for the Holiday Inn Express hotel shuttle. It came quickly, but could not fit all of us. Hence, 4 of us stayed behind to wait for the shuttle to come back. It only took 20-30 minutes to return. The driver was a nice ASU student.

Natalie and I are rooming together in the only 2-person room. After dropping our bags, most of us went to a pizza place near our hotel. We bought all of their remaining pizza, but I think everyone was happy with what they got. After dinner I returned to my room, unpacked, talked to JT, showered and went to bed.

Pretty sunset over Austin, TX

Credit to Jonathan Lanford

2 comments: