Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Sawnee Mountain Preserve + IT Band Knee Issues

On Sunday my dad and I went to Sawnee Mountain Preserve near my parent's house in Cumming, GA.

We parked at the Spot road entrance, and went on the 3.5 mile Indian Seats trail.  We climbed up to see the Indian Seats, which also provided a nice view north towards the Blue Ridge Mountains.  My dad is afraid of heights, so he did not want to get very close to the edge!  After enjoying the view for a while, we continued onward towards the visitor's center at the other entrance.  We never saw the rock climbing area, so I guess you have to hike a bit off-trail to get to it - and they probably did not mark it to dissuade people without permits from climbing.  The visitor's center was closed on Sunday, but from looking through the windows it seemed like it had some nice exhibits for kids.

We were surprised by how many other hikers and runners were out on the trail.  It made me happy to see people using and enjoying the preserve and its trails.  About 2.5 miles in, my right knee began hurting pretty bad again - the same pain I had been experiencing during the recent Guadalupe Mountains backpacking trip.  I took it easy, and then took some ibuprofen once I returned home.  However, when I sat and iced it I experienced some of the worst pain I've ever felt - I could not even move my knee without excruciating pain.  It got better with heat, but it was very concerning.

Once I returned to Austin, I visited the sports medicine clinic at UT.  My knee issues were diagnosed as iliotibial band friction syndrome.  The doctor said that rest, ice, compression, and elevation along with ibuprofen will help the inflammation, and that using a roller and doing stretches and exercises will also help.  However, she said I'll likely not be feeling great by the time of my next trip to Caprock Canyons.

I considered backing out of the trip, but I have been looking forward to this trip and I know the UT Outdoor Recreation program will not be able to find another guide to take my place (since they already tried when Hannah backed out of the trip for stream team about a week ago).  I'm hoping for the best, but also preparing for the worst - I'll take lots of ibuprofen, a knee strap for IT pain, and probably a tennis ball for rolling.  Hopefully I do not regret opting to go on this trip.  At least the doctor said I will not make it worse by using it, although I may be in a lot of pain.

 View from near the Indian Seats at Sawnee Mountain Preserve

1 comment: